Marfan or Marfan’s Syndrome is a connective tissue disorder affects each patient differently and with different severity.  There is no typical Marfan patient.  Each patient is unique and are treated for the complications they present with.   Connective tissue weakening can lead to a  stretched out heart. If the heart doesn’t work properly, it doesn’t get oxygen and nutrients to the body tissues as well as it should.

 Once diagnosed, all patients should have their heart monitored regularly for potential progressive malformations.  Their cardiac findings will contribute to determining their activity restrictions.

 75%  of cases are traced genetically and the other 25% are thought to be spontaneous gene mutations.

 The National Marfan Foundation estimates that more then 1 in 5000 people in the U.S. have Marfan Syndrome and half of them are undiagnosed.

No Comments

Leave a Comment